Monday, March 29, 2010

Snapshot Profile

There was a time in my life when I was sorely absent, emotionally, from the rest of the world. I found myself feeling completely disconnected from everyone around me: my family, my friends, my colleagues, and I saw myself falling into a deep depression. It was only when I was eighteen when all of the accumulated emotions burst from me and I found myself institutionalized, and that's when I truly found out who I really was. With the help of psychiatrists and other in-patients, I grew to accept who I had become as a person, and deal with mental illness and all the other issues circling my life.

I've come to the realization that not everything in life is perfect, and that everyone has problems (not just me), and dealing with reality is a normal way of life. Instead of disconnecting myself from my own harsh reality, I had an "awakening" of sorts. With the encouraging of my friends, co-workers, family, and therapists on campus, things have finally started to normalize themselves.

Looking back on that period in time, I didn't realize how "lost" I actually was. It took something so horribly damaging to me, personally, for me to come out on the other side and embrace acceptance.

2 comments:

  1. I think it takes a lot of courage to be able to talk about something as life changing as this, and I give you a lot of credit for it, Kyle. I also think that being able to help yourself and look back and know that you have progressed is such an accomplishment. You should be very proud of yourself. Sometimes the hardest problems to face are the struggles with yourself. I'm sure a lot of people can relate to you, but have not found the courage or ability to talk just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laurie. It feels weird not having to pay you to listen hahaha

    ReplyDelete