Monday, March 8, 2010

The (Dull) 82nd Academy Awards

So, even though this article was supposed to be done for last week, I wanted to write about the day after the 82nd Academy Awards aired, so I ended up waiting. I found an article from The NY Times today by a Miss Alessandra Stanley, that hit upon some of the points I would like to make about the classic 'Oscar Night.'

One: The Oscars seemed rushed and far too boring this year. The inclusion of two hosts now, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin, was a nice treat, but it could've been played-up better than it was. The article mentions the opening sing and dance number by Neil Patrick Harris, and says it only served to "test the clock." I would have to say I agree with Miss Stanley on that one. I understand it was supposed to bring us back to the golden era of the Oscars, try and keep it classy yet updated, but I found it to be nothing more than filler. The same goes for the horror movie montage that Kristen Stewart and Taylor Lautner (of Twilight fame) presented. That was a very strange thing to do seeing as how the Oscars never really recognized horror movies in particular before. Once again, it just seemed like it was used to fill time.

Two: The conclusion and Best Picture. Stanley recalls the final moments of Oscar night as being "rushed" and "practically a postscript." I couldn't have said it better! When Tom Hanks waltzed onto the stage I expected a nice intro/segment into the Best Picture nominees. Instead, what I, and the rest of the audience, was left with was a quick sentence or two, and the all-too brief announcement of the winner. And than it was over.

The Academy Awards this year didn't feel right to me. There was nothing classy or old Hollywood about it. All the actor's and directors and film people seemed cranky, tired, and just bored to be there. I wanted more glamour, more extravagance, but was left only with a few awkward moments, and only one memorable speech (made by Sandra Bullock when she won her award for Best Actress for 'The Blind Side').

So, all-in-all, the Oscars this year was a forgettable experience. Here's to hoping that next year will be different.

For Alessandra Stanley's full "Academy Awards" article from the NY Times, here is the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/08/movies/awardsseason/08watch.html?hp

No comments:

Post a Comment